Thursday, October 6, 2011

10/6 - Reeling from the news

I am still reeling from the news of Steve Jobs' death. although I knew of his health issues, I really expected him to hang in there and prevail. It's odd how much the death of a person you never knew personally can affect you. I cried last night.

Life has been incredibly busy, but in that good way when everything that happens leaves you wondering how you deserve so much blessing. Nina continues to be delightful. The three of us had a great trip on the weekend to Niagara Falls. After riding the Maid of the Mist, we drove up to Niagara on the Lake to see Lake Ontario. It was a classic fall day by then, the morning rain having cleared up. The sky was, as they say, partly cloudy, but sun sneaked through on and off. It was windy, so the lake looked absolutely wild, with waves crashing on the rocks at the shore.

We celebrated Bob's birthday on Monday, and that has me thinking about mine. It will be a mixed day, since that is the day Nina leaves. We have tickets to an afternoon concert, so I will need to arrange her transportation to the airport for her flight home at 7:00. I also got word that I was accepted into the Standardized Patient Program at Pitt Medical School, and I begin training next week. That has so much more appeal for me than retail or subbing. I think the flexibility will fit nicely with the schedule I'll have.

It's possible that my mother will be having knee replacement surgery again on her left knee. We'll know more when she sees her doctors. That will probably mean her coming here, since getting in and out of the house is much easier with four steps than her 20 or so.

I am now settling into a rather pleasant routine. I have begun to let out my breath concerning the list of things to do. The mulch has arrived, as have some plants. Once that is done, I will officially shut down the push to work in the side yard. One section will be done and until next spring, nothing major needs to take place. That will allow me more indoor time and more time to get together with friends and do the things I always said I'd do when I retired.

Having our friend Charlie visit inspired me to try to plan more weekend trips. We'll either fly to Boston in the spring for a long weekend, or head to P'Town in June, or both! Routine is good, but we need to remind ourselves that there is a big world out there for us to have fun in.

From all reports, school is continuing in the downward spiral. I still miss the students and my friends and I do miss the sense of being free from all the duties here while I was at work, but I don't miss the bureaucracy and paperwork that took away from the joy of it.

Dinners have been many and varied. Nina likes my cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment