Wednesday, August 24, 2011

8/24: Welcome back in-service

This is more like it. We both awoke before Bob's alarm went off, but not too long before. I was able to wake up slowly while he prepared to cycle to school. My day began more in the routine I hope to keep. I ran, picking up trash on the way home. Then my yoga workout, shower and breakfast. During breakfast I texted with friends who were attending the annual welcome back spiel at school. One colleague pointed out that my usual seat was left empty in my honor. Awwww!

I was able to sort out emails and begin work on planning commission matters that will come up over the next few months. In some ways, yesterday was a false start. Too many appointments, and the overwhelming feeling that even without working I'll never have time to tackle all the tasks on my list. Today I am calmer. I am allowing myself this week to get things organized. I have to meet with my financial planner tomorrow to set up my pension options. The more physical jobs will begin next week.

I have a few indoor projects left and the whole side yard to work on. Even with the to-do list, I feel as if I've hit the lottery or been given the most extravagant gift. There is nothing to compare with having the choice about how to spend one's time. As I ran this morning, I looked down toward the river and just reveled in having the time to do that. Once I get some of the major chores tackled, I'll be able to get back to something creative: writing, maybe. Needle work, maybe.

It reminds me of when I moved from the high school to the middle school fifteen years ago. I expected that the first time I walked into the high school I would be struck by a rush of nostalgia and memories. Instead, it was just a building. Although I really miss connecting with my friends in person, I have no sense of something going on without me, or being left out of the loop. Just an incredible, intense, immense feeling of relief. Having someone else's priorities imposed on what I did every day had become a burden, especially because I felt those priorities weren't necessarily the ones that would benefit kids the most.

In any case, I am living the dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment